This is one of my favourite appetizers, first because they are easy to make and secondly they are yummy. I love this with the Peanut sauce below, however if you have a peanut allergy this is also delicious with homemade Coconut Mango sauce, or buy a jar of Mango chutney heat and serve. I’ve added this post as part of the Asian Flair Party recipes, however, I will be adding clearer and step by step pictures soon.
King Oyster Mushroom Satay Recipe
- 1 -1/2 cups silk vegan coconut yogurt plain
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced Lemongrass
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 10 large king oyster mushrooms cut into strips (I usually just quarter the mushroom stalk by length
- 25 – 30 bamboo skewers (soaked in water for 30-45 minutes)
- Touch of oil for grill pan or grill to prevent sticking
- Cut mushrooms into strips
- Steam in a colander over boiling water for 5 min just until pliable
- Remove from heat and rinse in ice water bath.
- Thread each piece on soaked skewers to make sure they stay in place while grilling
- Lay skewers in square baking pan.
- Combine all ingredients for marinade.
- Using a sauce brush cover both sides of the mushroom strips with the marinade
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until ready to grill
- On a hot oil grill or grill pan grill Mushroom Satay for 3-4 minutes on each side, until grilled and cooked completely.
- Serve immediately on a platter or place in a chaffing dish to keep warm. Serve with Peanut Satay Sauce.
- 1/2 cup Peanut butter
- 2 cups Coconut milk (I prefer light)
- 1-2 loves of Garlic finely minced
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (or honey if you use)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced cilantro
- 1 Tbsp minced Lemongrass optional*
- Juice from one lime
- Sea Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peanut pieces for garnish
- Finely mince garlic and lemongrass
- Add all ingredients except the lime juice to a medium-sized sauce pan
- Stir over medium low heat until melted and combined
- Remove from heat stir in lime juice and add salt to taste starting with a pinch or two.
- Refrigerate until ready to be served. You may reheat for serving.
- Sprinkle top of sauce with peanut pieces.
This sauce may thicken in the refrigerator. Reheat over low heat to serve warm, or add a few tablespoons of warm coconut milk, water or vegetable stock and stir until smooth and served chilled.