We make homemade ice creams and gelato’s quite often. With the addition of a Cuisinart Gelato/Ice Cream maker we are making it slightly more than the maker that used ice and salt to freeze. The texture can be slightly off store-bought ice cream however the taste outweighs that in my book. It’s a family favourite that everyone loves to take part in the process. With a basic custard recipe you can make pretty much any flavour. Here is my version of a strawberrry gelato that I made for a dinner party dessert and it’s become a family favourite.
- medium sauce pan
- mixing bowl and whisk or stand mixer and whisk
- spatula or wooden spoon
- mesh strainer
- covered bowl
- ice cream maker or freezable container
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar (1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp added to the yolks, the other 1/4 added to the milk and cream)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup pureed roasted strawberries (Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Glaze recipe)
- Previously prepared strawberries
- Add egg yolks and 1/4cup + 1tbsp sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk the yolks and sugar until frothy and light buttery in colour.
- Pour the cream, milk and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar into a medium-sized sauce pan and heat until simmering.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour the heated milk and cream into the egg yolk and sugar mix while quickly whisking the mix at the same time. Do not add too quickly and start whisking before pouring in the heated milk to prevent scrambling the egg yolks.
- Once all the milk and cream has been whisked in pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Simmer over medium heat until the mixture lightly coats the spoon.
- Remove from heat and add the pureed roasted strawberries. Stir until completely combined
- Pour the ice cream mixture through a sieve to remove the strawberry seeds and to make sure a smooth custard.
- Place in a covered container and refrigerate until chilled completely. IF you are in a hurry you can place in the freezer for about 1 hour to 1.5hours or until chilled throughout.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and follow instructions according to your machine. Once frozen remove from ice cream maker and store in freezer.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker you can still make ice cream. It will have a slight different texture yet quite enjoyable still. Place ice cream into a freezable container, cover, and place in the freezer. You will need to stir every 30 minutes to prevent ice crystals from forming until hardened.