Banana Bread.. Here it is Chelsea and Cam.. You’ve only been asking for a year. I’ve made my mother’s recipe since I first starting baking, my only change to the original was the addition of the molasses. This bread cuts without falling apart which is perfect for toasting. This recipe makes two medium-sized loaves.
Mom's Banana Bread
- 3 medium bananas mashed (1 cup)
- 2 med/large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) (111 gr) canola, coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar (201 gr)
- 3 Tbsp Cream or (Milk, sour cream, yogurt, coconut milk, soy milk or almond milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Molasses (80 gr)(62.5 ml)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Flour (250 gr) (Gluten free flours can be substituted)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- *optional 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- *optional 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp butter, shortening or oil
- 1 tbsp flour for pan
Pre-heat oven to 325°
To a medium-sized bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer add the eggs
Add the sugar.Add the oilMash the ripened bananas. This doesn’t need to be pureed to absolute smoothness. Small chunks of banana are fine.Add the mashed bananas. Attach the paddle attachment and mix until combined.Measure and add the vanilla and molasses.Add the cream or sour cream or non-dairy liquid of choice. Mix to combine before adding the flour.
Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt to a bowlSift or whisk together until combinedAdd half of the flour and mix on low for 10 seconds. Add the remainder and mix until just combined taking care to not over mix the flour.
Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. If you are choosing to add nuts or chocolate chips or both add them in now. Gently stir to incorporate evenly throughout the batter.Grease the pan making sure to get in the corners and up the sides then add the flour
Shake the flour around the pan until all the butter is covered with the flour. Tap out the excess flour and pour the batter into the pan. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown, the top bounces back to the touch, or a wooden stick comes out clean when inserted into the bread.Let rest for 5 minutes, remove and let cool on a baking rack or board.
Let the bread cool to be handled before cutting. Fresh out of the oven banana bread will crumble and cut more like cake until the next day.
Here are a few tips and tricks I’ve learned to making sweet breads or loaves
1. Baking at a lower temperature for a few minutes longer. This helps prevent cracked tops in your loaf as the inside will cook closer to the same speed as the outside. If you bake at high temperatures the outside will over cook before the inside is finished rising. This is what causes the crack. The steam and rising try to burst through the crust.
2. If you are using glass baking pan vs a metal pan. – most recipes are for metal baking tins and there baking temperature and times are set for those. You will need to decrease you baking temperature and time to get the same results when using a glass pan as glass retains and conducts heat this making the bread, cake, or loaf cooks faster than a tin.
3. Slightly overcooked loaf. This loaf may seem dry in texture if cut shortly after cooking. I find that the moisture from the banana will spread and soften if wrapped and sealed over night. The next day the crust will be as tender as the center.
4. Take browning bananas out of their peel, mash and place in a baggy in the measure needed for your recipe. Toss in the freezer. No more wasted fruit and a pre measured ingredient is ready when you are.
Add butter mmm mmm good