Here is my Peanut Butter Icing recipe. If you prefer step by step photos you can follow the instructions and pictures of my buttercream icing recipe here
This icing has a smooth rich peanut taste. The meringue powder gives it a fluffy texture and helps it hold its shape in warm environments. I love using it on chocolate, peanut butter or vanilla cake or cupcakes.
Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing
- 1.5 sticks (3/4 cup or 170 grams) unsalted plant based butter, room temperature (very soft)
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) shortening, room temperature (very soft)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp butter flavouring (Wilton’s makes the best flavoured version)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract – try my homemade vanilla recipe
- 500 gr or 1.13 lbs (18 oz) or approx 3.75 cups powdered/icing/confectioners sugar sifted
- 1 Tbsp vegan meringue powder *(optional) important but see note in Tips
- 1.5-2 tbsp of almond milk or water, You may need more or less depending on the humidity in your area
- 1.5 cups peanut butter
- Stand mixer – (a hand mixer is a little more work and you will need add a two minutes to each mixing step to get a fluffy creamy texture a stand mixer provides)
- Sift icing sugar and meringue powder together.
- In the stand mixer, combine butter, shortening, and salt together to join, about 3-4 minutes on low.
- Add vanilla, butter, and, almond extracts. Mix on low-speed for 15 seconds.
- Add the peanut butter and blend until combined
- Add 1 pound (4 to 4 – 1/2 cups) of the powdered sugar/meringue powder and mix on low for 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar (1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time), and mix on low for until combined 1 min
- Add water or milk (a teaspoon at a time), Blend well on low for 5 minutes
- Use immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.