I make spiced nuts a few times a year, but it is a Christmas time staple for our family. I’ve been making a version of this recipe for many years for my family and for gifts. I have always used butter and brown sugar in the recipe.< We don’t use oil anymore and I try to use maple syrup for a sweetener whenever I can. I was a little worried about changing this recipe to a no oil version. HOWEVER, I am very excited to say this recipe is not only oil free and butter free, its better than the original. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Follow this link for a quick video
Oil Free Sweet and Spicy Maple Mixed Nuts
- 8 cups unsalted nuts (cashews, almonds, pecans, pistachios) or nuts of your choosing.
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp dark chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp cayenne if you like more spice adjust to your level
- Preheat oven to 310°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
- Add maple syrup, spices, and half the salt to a deep sauté pan.
- Bring maple syrup and spices to a boil over to medium/high heat (2-3 min)
- Add nuts and stir until completely covered and stir until most of the maple syrup is sticking to the nuts and not a syrupy liquid on the bottom of the pan.
- Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet, sprinkle remaining salt and place in a 310° oven for 25-30 minutes depending on how hot your oven gets.
- Make sure then don’t burn. Best part.. no stirring necessary while they are in the oven.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in and air tight container.