This is my sweet girl’s favorite soup. Her and I share a love of mushrooms, Cameron not so much. He has the finely chop and don’t tell me kind of relationship with mushrooms. I never made two separate meals for my kids, as I already spend a lot of time in the kitchen… they eat what we eat. Cam either picked the mushrooms out, or if the recipe could handle finely chopped, I did so. Chelsea would ask to have hot mushroom soup in her school lunch. As I was packing her lunch I would think “She’s the only one with mushroom soup today” and smile. This recipe is made with butter, however you can substitute with a butter replacement like earth balance.
- 2-4 Tbsp mushrooms or vegetable stock
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz each thinly sliced Button/white, Cremini, and Shiitake mushrooms ( You could also use any variety of your taste or availability)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup champagne or mild white wine (*optional, if omitted add an extra 1/2 cup of water or stock)
- 2 bay leaves
- a sprig of thyme, sage, rosemary or all three.
- 1.5 litre of mushroom or vegetable stock
- Optional vegan butter
1. Chop onions and mushrooms, mince the garlic
2. Add onions, garlic, vegetable stock to saute pan medium heat
3. Be sure to watch that the pan doesn’t go dry as garlic can burn quickly, add more stock as needed. (1 T at a time)4. Add the mushrooms and saute over medium heat for approximately 12-14 minutes.5. Add the wine to the mushroom and stir until for 1 minute. (This step is optional)6. Pour in the stock
7. Add sea salt and pepper, and the fresh sprigs of the herbs using. (I added them whole here as the leaves will come off the stem easily and you can pick them out after)
10. Pour blended soup back into pot of non blended soup, stir to combine.
11. I do not add dairy to this soup as I find it creamy enough but cream or a thickener could also be added at this step if you like a richer creamier soup.
Shown topped with a few roasted walnuts, pine nuts, vegan parmesan, and serve with whole grain crusty bread.