I could eat this soup everyday. I like to use a combination of mushroom stock and my homemade vegetable stock when making french onion soup. Use whatever stock you like 🙂 While on vacation in Paris last year, I ordered French Onion Soup as a starter at every restaurant we visited. I experienced some wonderful flavours each time. This is my french onion soup recipe and it is a family favourite. Also a must try is French Onion Soup or any soup served in a pretzel bread bowl
This recipe is for my son Cameron, who after being back to College has been requesting this recipe for three weeks.
Easy French Onion Soup
- 4-6 large yellow onions (approx. 8 cups sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups mushroom stock 1350 ml-
- 3 cups vegetable stock homemade or (low/no sodium added)
- 1.5 tsp Sea Salt
- Fresh cracked pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 tsp)
- Thyme – the leaves from approx. 6-7 sprigs or 1/2-1tsp dried
- Optional* 1/4 cup of white wine (Champagne, Marsala, Sherry, or red wine)
- 1 batch of cashew cream cheese ( see below)
- Whole grain baguette or croutons
- 4-6 oven-proof soup bowls or french onion soup bowls
1. Peel onions, cut in half and thinly slice.
2. In a heavy pot over low heat add onions, thyme and 1/4 cup water. Let simmer over medium heat stirring and occasionally adding 1 tbsp or more of water to prevent sticking. (You can throw the fresh thyme in whole and remove the stems later or pull off the leaves and add to the soup)
Stir in 5 minute intervals while cooking the onions down in a covered enamel pot.
3. Cook the onions for 45 minutes over low/medium heat until golden. Keep the cover on and stir periodically to keep the onions from sticking to the pot. If your onions are frying or sticking your heat may be too high. Turn it down a small amount and add a touch more water.
4. Cut the baguette in 1 inch slices, set aside
5. Add the remaining stocks, salt and pepper.
6. After the onions start to golden or caramelize pour the wine over the onions. If your not using just add the stock. This deglazes the pot and adds all those lightly browned flavours back into your soup.
7. Turn up the heat to medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
8. Test for seasoning
9. Pour with a ladle in each oven-proof French onion soup bowls.
10. Top each bowl with a baguette slice smothered with cashew cheese. I like to cut the baquette into cubes, and add the cashew cream cheese to the tops and set on the soup. This makes for easier eating of the soup.
11. Place in oven on middle rack, Broil on high until golden and slightly bubbly. Watch carefully depending on your oven broiler, the bread or the cheese can burn quickly if not taken out on time.
12. Set on plates, remind your guests (and yourself) that the bowl is extremely hot. Enjoy!
13. Try serving this soup in a whole grain pretzel bread bowl. Great presentation and so delicious
Easy Cashew Cream Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup pre-soaked drained cashews (1-2 hours minimum unless you have a high power blender like a vitamix)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch or two of sea salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk or non dairy milk of your choosing
- Optional *2 tsp nutritional yeast
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Stop the blender and scape down the sides a few times.
Refrigerate for up to 1 week