I came up this salad on a bit of a whim, when I had girlfriends from out-of-town in for a summer visit. It’s pretty basic and since I was off desserts at the time, I was craving something with a sweet edge. The basic balsamic dressing is made with white balsamic for a light and refreshing taste. This salad is great on its own or served with Grilled chicken sliced and placed on the top or with a grilled chicken breast, plus a side of your choosing. I have used a Mango Stilton cheese but you could substitute a number of soft or crumbly cheeses that suit your palate.
Ingredients for Candied Pecans:
- 2 cups Pecans
- 1.5 Tbsp honey
- 1.5 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- sheet of parchment paper
1. Measure salt, pepper, cinnamon, set aside in a bowl.
2. Over medium/high heat add honey, maple syrup and vanilla to a heavy bottom pan, Bring to a boil.
3. Add pecans, and premixed spices to pan.
4. Mix in, and stir gently and constantly over medium to hight heat for approximately 5 minutes.*
5. You will notice little strings of syrup that is starting to pull from the pecans, upon stirring and most of the moisture should be gone.
6. Remove from heat and carefully spread on the parchment paper, quickly sprinkle a dash of sea salt over the pecans,
7. Set aside and let cool.
8. Once cool, break apart and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Cook times and temperatures can vary depending on your stove, pan, humidity levels in your area. You can also place these in the oven for 7-10 min at 325.
White Balsamic Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp White Balsamic vinegar (I used Mango flavoured to compliment the Mango Stilton cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Maple syrup
- Juice of half of a medium/large lime
- 1/4 tsp lime zest (half of a lime)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
1. Add first 7 ingredients stir to a bowl. Mix to incorporate.
2. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined.
3. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- 3 cups per serving of Mixed greens or (fresh baby spinach)
- 2/3 cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1/2 cup Candied Pecans
- 12 red onion slices
- 1/2 cup crumbled Mango Stilton
- White Balsamic dressing for serving
1. Place greens on plate, top with red onion slices, blueberries, candied pecans, and Stilton cheese.
2. Serve with White Balsamic dressing on top.
I love this salad with fresh baby potatoes, or smashed potatoes, (recipe coming) and grilled chicken as pictured above. Put a little oil on the chicken to keep it from sticking to the grill. Top with a few spices, cilantro, parsley, chili flakes, salt and pepper, grill or cook on grill pan until cooked throughly. Enjoy!
Here you go Susie.. Hope you enjoy girlfriend. xo