I posted this recipe in my blog when I first started it this summer. It was in the middle of a post on my Baby Onesie Cookies. I thought that posting it on its own would make it easier for you to find. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups (340 gr)unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 cups (400 gr) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla *you can add vanilla bean seeds for extra vanilla flavour
- 5 – 5.5 cups (600-660 gr) all purpose sifted Flour (1/4 cup of extra flour for rolling out the dough if you don’t have parchment paper)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder *OPTIONAL for flatter cookies omit.
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheets
- cookie cutters
- large mixing bowl or stand mixer with paddle attachment
- spatula or wooden spoon
- measuring cups and spoons
- rolling pin
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using the paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer on low to medium speed.
- Sift all dry ingredients together in a separate bowl
- Scrape down sides and add the eggs mixing again to incorporate.
- Add the vanilla, stir in ( I use my own homemade vanilla click this link to see how I do this)
- Add all the dry ingredients to the butter mixture mix on low for about 45 sec to 1 minute just until it sticks together. Overmixing is not your friend.
- Divide the dough in half and place in between two sheets of parchment. Roll the dough with a rolling-pin to the desired thickness leave the parchment attached
- Refrigerate to chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Roll the dough further if you need to, remove the top sheet of parchment and replace it. Flip it over and remove the parchment from the other side. ( this make the cookies easier to remove from the parchment once cut). Now cut out cookie shapes with cutters. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Re-roll scrap dough and repeat
- I chill the cookies again before baking on the cookie sheets for 10-15 minutes, as this helps keep the cookies from spreading and they will be more uniform.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 min or until the edges just start to become turn a slight golden color. (Baking time can vary)
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Leave on cookie sheet to continue cooking for 5 minutes
- Remove from sheets and let cookies cool on a rack until room temperature.
- Now the fun part. Decorating! To decorate with Royal Icing.