This tart is a little more work than making a lemon pie or tart, but in my opinion it is worth every minute. The velvety smooth center is rich, sweet and tart. What makes this tart stand out is that unlike a lemon pie this center remains creamy in texture. The crust is strong and holds each bite firmly yet when it reaches your mouth it is light and almost melts in your mouth. All things that a great dessert should do. This Creamy Lemon tart is amazing on its own or served with a meringue topping. For Easter I thought it would be fun to make these Meringue clouds into “peep” shapes and serve on top. Another option once center is chilled is to top with fluffy meringue and lightly toast. This recipe can be made easily into a lime tart by replacing the lemons with lime zest and lime juice.
Ingredients & Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°
- 1/2 cup Butter (115 grams or 1 stick)
- Vanilla seeds of 1 bean or flavouring
- 3/4 cup Ground Almonds (130 grams)
- 1 cup Icing sugar
- 1 Egg
- 2 cups Flour (220 grams)
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons (about 180 ml/grams or 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup Granulated sugar (about 210 grams)
- 1 – 1/4 cup of butter (about 280g or 2.5 sticks)
- Cut the butter into small pieces bring to room temperature.
- Place the butter into the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment attached.
- Cream the butter and vanilla on medium until smooth
- Add the icing sugar and the ground almonds. Mix on low until combined
- Whip the egg and add to the mixer combine on low
- Add the flour and mix until combined. Don’t over mix the flour in.
- Remove from the bowl. Place onto a sheet of parchment or plastic wrap, flatten a bit then wrap and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours to chill.
- Roll the dough out on the parchment, chill for 5-10 minutes. Roll the dough around a rolling-pin and roll back in place over a springform tart pan*.
- Press the dough into the pan. Once pressed into place use a rolling-pin to roll across the top of the tart pan, cutting the excess of the dough off.
- Return the pan and dough to be chilled for 1-2 hours or overnight. Start steps to the Lemon cream.
- Bake for 25 min in a 350 degree oven. Let cool.
Lemon or Lime Cream
- Whip the egg yolks and whole eggs until creamy place in a sauce pan.
- Add the lime juice, zest, sugar to the sauce pan whisk together until combined.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened enough that it coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and place into a heat proof bowl. Let cool to 70-75° (warm but not hot) Start blending in the butter couple of tablespoons at a time using an electric hand mixer, or immersion blender until thick and creamy. Cover the lemon cream with plastic wrap placed on top of the cream so a skin will not form once placed in the fridge. Let cool for an hour or more before whipping placing in cooled tart shell.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving remove from refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Optional* top with meringue clouds
- Use a springform cake pan (It’s just a little more work to even the edge to make it a 2″ tart pan height) Place the dough in the pan and then cut the excess from the sides shaping the 2″ high sides remaining in place.