Fall weather always puts me in the mood for soup. On a cold rainy day, nothing warms my family up better than a hearty soup. Don’t be afraid to substitute ingredients in a recipe. Don’t have parsnip? Replace with another starchy root vegetable such as carrots, celeriac (or celery ribs), turnip, or sweet potato. I like the sweet and salty taste that pan grilled pancetta adds to this soup, though it is flavorful on its own.
Creamy Potato, Parsnip, and Leek Soup
- 2-4 Tbsp vegetable stock for sautéing vegetables
- 2 medium parsnip peeled and chopped
- 6 large potatoes Yukon gold peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 3 leek thinly sliced
- 6 cups stock (vegetable or mushroom stock adds a lovely flavour)
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic (roasted if you have on hand)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 tsp fresh
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the vegetables as directed and add to a large stock pot.
- Add 2 Tbsp of vegetable stock and place the stock pot over medium to high heat.
- Add the prepare vegetables to the pot and saute over medium-high heat for approx. 5 min. Cover until softened. You may need to add another 2 T of stock to keep the vegetables from sticking. This allows the flavours to brighten and adds a richness from the caramelized onion juices setting on the pan
- Add the 6 cups of stock and the water
- Add the sea salt, fresh ground pepper, roasted garlic, and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover and continue cooking until potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes
- Remove from heat and using a hand blender* puree the soup in the pot. You can decide if you need to add any more liquid. If you think it’s too thick for you, add a little stock, water or if you like you can add non dairy milk. Start by adding 1/4 cup at a time. (I usually only add extra liquid the next day if I am re-heating for leftovers, but it’s your soup follow your flavour instincts)
- Optional* Saute mushrooms and or onions until crispy over medium high heat.
- Test the soup for seasoning, you may want to add a little more salt, and/or pepper
- Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with thyme, maple carmelized mushrooms, sietan, or tempeh bacon, and serve with a crusty bread if desired.
If you need a step by step pictures check out my Roasted Squash Soup Recipe. This soup is prepared the same way.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Potato, Parsnip, and Leek Soup – Oil Free – Plant-Based”
Can’t believe you’re working on your first day of holiday!!! 🙂
Sent from my iPhone
Sent from my iPhone